help:domain name lookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 21 02:01:19 UTC 2000

michael thomas wrote:

> Appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for this info:-
>
> I want to set up a service that will enable a user to lookup web site names when they can only remember part of the name. For instance, say if I saw an ad for a website and could only remember that it started with "eNet*". This service would provide a list of all registered websites starting with eNet. Could my own DNS server do this job?
>
> Basically I need access to all registered .com, .org and .net doamin names. Does anyone out there know where I can gain this access and access it in real time to get a complete list, not a partial one?

Your own DNS server can't do the job. Even if you had permission, and a fast enough system and network connectivity to replicate the *huge* .com/.org/.net zones, there is no "partial matching" capability within DNS.

The only suggestion I have would be to try to get access to download the zone files directly. See http://www.nsiregistry.com/Tld/gltdzpro.html. Then you'd have to somehow squeeze all of that data into an easily-searchable format.