help:domain name lookup

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Nov 21 06:06:10 UTC 2000

		Check out http://www.register.com/  I believe you can find all sorts of
  addresses there.  Also, netscape allows you to type just the name and it
  will find it for you.  If there's more than one it will show you a
selection list.

				Danny

At 09:01 PM 11/20/00 -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>michael thomas wrote:
>
>> Appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for this info:-
>>
>> I want to set up a service that will enable a user to lookup web site
names when they can only remember part of the name. For instance, say if I
saw an ad for a website and could only remember that it started with
"eNet*". This service would provide a list of all registered websites
starting with eNet. Could my own DNS server do this job?

>> Basically I need access to all registered .com, .org and .net doamin
names. Does anyone out there know where I can gain this access and access
it in real time to get a complete list, not a partial one?

>Your own DNS server can't do the job. Even if you had permission, and a
fast enough system and network connectivity to replicate the *huge*
.com/.org/.net zones, there is no "partial matching" capability within DNS.

>The only suggestion I have would be to try to get access to download the
zone files directly. See http://www.nsiregistry.com/Tld/gltdzpro.html. Then
you'd have to somehow squeeze all of that data into an easily-searchable
format.