.us domain request denied ????

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 28 22:38:26 UTC 2000

All I would say is:

1. There are only 3 unique, global IP addresses in all of
naperville.il.us, and all 3 appear to be on the same segment. And no
delegations. So I doubt that we're looking at many "blameless victims"
here. Looks like the City of Naperville just decided to appropriate this
domain all to themselves. If so, then they are the only ones who'll
suffer if they're exiled from the namespace. Too bad: you break the
rules, you pay the price.

2. Law Suits. The registration agreement required by .us (see
http://www.nic.us/cgi-bin/template.pl) is a Verisign agreement that has
pages and pages of disclaimers-of-warranty, indemnifications,
hold-harmless clauses, etc. It also requires the registrant to abide by
RFC 1480 and the various rules posted on www.nic.us as far as naming
conventions are concerned. Even a hack ambulance-chasing-type lawyer
would be a fool to take on Verisign on such shaky legal grounds.

- Kevin