.us domain request denied ????

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Nov 29 03:58:36 UTC 2000

At 05:38 PM 11/28/00 -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>All I would say is:
>
>1. There are only 3 unique, global IP addresses in all of
>naperville.il.us, and all 3 appear to be on the same segment. And no
>delegations. So I doubt that we're looking at many "blameless victims"
>here. Looks like the City of Naperville just decided to appropriate this
>domain all to themselves. If so, then they are the only ones who'll
>suffer if they're exiled from the namespace. Too bad: you break the
>rules, you pay the price.

		Since the City of Naperville got the domain name, presumably
  because noone else asked for it before they did, they get to set policy
  rules about subdomains under their's, just as the top level .us domain
  does.  They are well within their rights to set policy.

>2. Law Suits. The registration agreement required by .us (see
>http://www.nic.us/cgi-bin/template.pl) is a Verisign agreement that has
>pages and pages of disclaimers-of-warranty, indemnifications,
>hold-harmless clauses, etc. It also requires the registrant to abide by
>RFC 1480 and the various rules posted on www.nic.us as far as naming
>conventions are concerned. Even a hack ambulance-chasing-type lawyer
>would be a fool to take on Verisign on such shaky legal grounds.

		An agreement that does NOT allow the other side to modify it is not
  really a legal agreement and any lawyer worth his salt wouldn't have a
  hard time overturning it. Disclaimers, indemnifications, hold-harmless
clauses
  etc. are attempts to protect the side making them and are more of an
  attempt at intimidation than reality.  That said, Versign, etc. can spend
a lot
  more on lawyers than the average person makes in 20 years.  You could
  spend years with the matter tied up in court and drain your life savings.

		It's cheaper to fight city hall to get them to change their policy.  Why not
  create your own domain like naperville.com (if it's not taken) or
cityofnaperville.com
  or even cityofnaperville.il.us?  Why is the domain name so important?
What if
  you move to mitchigan?

			Danny