bad ip address

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Oct 11 12:15:47 UTC 2000

    John> Can anyone help me with the following.  I have set-up a NT
    John> server box with a server name of say test.testing.co.uk and
    John> given it an ip address.  The problem is I can't seem to ping
    John> the server name.  It says " Bad ip address
    John> test.testing.co.uk It pings the ip address fine.  I have got
    John> the address records pointing to the machine name and the
    John> zone file looks fine but still I have this problem of not
    John> being able to ping the machne by server name.

You could start by supplying relevant information, like the name and
address of your name server, your resolver settings, the name you're
trying to lookup, the zone file containing that name and maybe some
logs or debugging traces. It could be a broken resolver, or a screwed
up zone file or an incorrect delegation or any combination of all
three. But since you chose not to provide any useful information that
would give someone a clue about how to fix your problem, it's
impossible to provide anything more than a general idea of what might
be wrong. The readers of bind-users have many talents but I seriously
doubt if these extend to telepathy or mind-reading.

BTW, this is not the proper forum for asking about NT name server set
up. This list is meant to be about BIND, which is a different name
server implementation from the one you're using. If your problem
concerns NT issues - registry settings, patch levels, service packs,
etc - you're unlikely to get worthwhile answers from an audience of
BIND administrators, most of whom run the code on UNIX systems.