named listens to 127.0.0.1 but not IP address

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Mon Oct 16 15:00:20 UTC 2000

> the place I work for is just about to hit over 250 computers..
> So we need to add IP addresses. So we decided just to renumber
> the network from a Class 192.168.2.0 to a B Class 128.1.0.0...

Why are you doing that? 192.168.0.0/16 is proper RFC1918 private
address space, and has over 64000 addresses (it is a full /16!).

128.1.0.0 is a block properly assigned to BBN, and unless you are
BBN(or have received this block from them as your upstream ISP, you
should not be using it.

Just extend into another subnet of 192.168.0.0, like eg 192.168.3.0/24
etc. You have lots of space to grow in there.

>=20
> Now th problem I am having is when I configure the ethernet port
> on either solaris 7 or linux with a subnet of 255.255.0.0...
> Using nslookup breaks.. I can still do a nslookup againist the
> localhost IP address but not on the IP address of the=20
> ethernet port...

Are there any error messages (or othe rlog messages) when you start up
BIND? It should announce which addresses it's listening on.
Are your interfaces configured properly? Can you use the ethernet
interfaces for other purposes 9eg ping?)

COuld you post some more details, like:
	- version of BIND
	- named.conf
	- syslog output (and/or the output to the channel that carries config =
and/or default
	  log traffic)
	- netstat output
	- ping results