DNS (2 ISPs) resolution problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 23 20:32:23 UTC 2000

Normally, DNS servers don't give out different answers based on the
address of the client (although sometimes they will *sort* the answers
differently, based on the address of the client). So you should find out
why you're getting "bad" addresses via your DSL connection. Are you
forwarding to your DSL provider's servers? I suspect that their idea of
"encouraging" you to use their web proxy is to fudge their DNS answers
to point to their proxy. Which is a really asinine way to do things. If
this is the case, you should make your displeasure known to them. Also,
to get around this "blockage", don't use their DNS servers. Instead, run
a caching server with an Internet root hints file. Then you'll always
get the "public" addresses for those sites. (Assuming, of course, that
they don't similarly block, filter or re-route port 53 to "encourage"
you to use their DNS servers. If this is the case, I'd seriously
consider getting another provider.)

- Kevin