forwarders overriding zone delegation.

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 23 01:49:11 UTC 2000

Sure.  It shows a "forwarders" in each zone type, but it's not just a
matter of reading the doco -- it's matter of *understanding* it.  It's
amazing how much easier it is when you already know what it's trying to
say.  I doubt that I would have ever thought of trying a null forwarders
in a master zone by reading the following:

   forwarders
   The forwarders option in a zone is used to override the list of
global
   forwarders. If it is not specified in a zone of type forward, no
   forwarding is done for the zone; the global options are not used.

Notice that it specifically mentions zone of type forward, but it
doesn't
say anything about a null value.
You have to look at the forward zone discussion to see that a null
value turns it off therein, but it doesn't say anything about other
zone types.
So you would have to do a little extrapolating to make that leap.
I think that the "forwarders" discussion should be updated to
specifically mention that the null list turns it off.
Not that it would have helped me, because I'd still have to had thought
of using it.

Tks        | <mailto:Bob_Vance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511