Bind, Sendmail and RBL

Jorg B. jorg_b at cwo.com
Thu Sep 28 03:20:33 UTC 2000

Hello,

I have a problem using the RBL with sendmail (8.11.0) and since it ties in with
Bind I thought this may be a good place to ask this question:

I'm running Bind 8.2.2P5 on a dedicated Linux Box.
The DNS server has been running fine for years (serving ~8000 users) and
everything seems to be working the way it should be. I have a subscription via
DNS to be a stealth slave of the rbl.maps.vix.com zone.
I'm getting regular updates (zone transfers) from the master RBL server,
therefore I know that this part works.

Here is what I have within my named.conf file:

zone "rbl.maps.vix.com"
{
  type slave;
  file "sec/rbl.maps.vix.com";
  allow-transfer { none; };
  masters {204.152.184.74; };
};

Now to sendmail:

I have FEATURE(dnsbl, `ns.domain.com') within my sendmail mc file... (where
ns.domain.com is my DNS server that is our RBL stealth slave).
Now, when I run the following test I don't pass the test.... even as 127.0.0.2
the ruleset doesn't reject the request... (as 127.0.0.2 it should reject the
message).

        $ sendmail -bt -C /config/to/test/sendmail.cf
        .D{client_addr}127.0.0.1
        Basic_check_relay <>
        rewrite: ruleset 192   input: < >
        rewrite: ruleset 192 returns: OK
        .D{client_addr}127.0.0.2
        Basic_check_relay <>
        rewrite: ruleset 192   input: < >
        rewrite: ruleset 192 returns: OK
        CTRL/D

When I use FEATURE(dnsbl) within my sendmail mc file, which uses the public
RBL server, it seems to work just fine (see below).

        $ sendmail -bt -C /config/to/test/sendmail.cf
        .D{client_addr}127.0.0.1
        Basic_check_relay <>
        rewrite: ruleset 192   input: < >
        rewrite: ruleset 192 returns: OK
        .D{client_addr}127.0.0.2
        Basic_check_relay <>
        rewrite: ruleset 192   input: < >
        rewrite: ruleset 192 returns: $# error $@ 5 . 7 . 1 $: "Mail from " 127 . 0 . 0 . 2 " refused; see http://maps.vix.com/cgi-bin/lookup?127.0.0.2"
        CTRL/D

Does anybody have experience with this ? What am I missing ?

Thanks for your help.

Jorg B.