Bind causes unwanted dialouts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 1 22:46:24 UTC 2000

BIND always wants to do a root-zone query when it comes up, so that it can get
good, current root-zone information into its cache (the "hints" file is just
that: *hints* about where to find good root-zone information, not a substitute
for that information itself). This "priming" query may be a possible source of
the "spontaneous" attempts to reach external nameservers.

If you have any zones defined as "slave" or "stub", this would also explain the
query attempts, since those zone types require periodic maintenance, which
generates queries to other nameservers.

Also, if your nameserver is getting locally-generated queries outside of its
master zones then this could also explain the external queries. You could turn
on query logging to see exactly what queries are being made of your nameserver.
See the documentation for the "logging" statement.

- Kevin