Cache not expiring...

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Sun Sep 3 12:26:52 UTC 2000

> Hey guys.
>
> While I've never gotten a complaint from my users, I have a reseller
> who keeps moving hosts and ips on a separate network from mine.  Then
> since his customers use my dial-up and DNS, they are not seeing the DNS
> changes right away.  In fact, sometimes it takes days... usually until
> I rehup my named for a DNS change on my network.  His complain is that
> our DNS returns old cached data for days after other DNS server's (Uu.net,
> Digex, MSN, etc.) serve up the fresh data.

	It sounds like you are secondarying the zone if HUP fixes
	things.  HUPing a nameserver does not clear the cache.  It
	does however cause a refresh check to occur.

	But as always this is supposition as you have failed to
	tell us the names of the zones and servers involved.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com