Cache not expiring...

Stephen Amadei amadei at dandy.net
Sun Sep 3 14:09:09 UTC 2000

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

> > While I've never gotten a complaint from my users, I have a reseller
> > who keeps moving hosts and ips on a separate network from mine.  Then
> > since his customers use my dial-up and DNS, they are not seeing the DNS
> > changes right away.  In fact, sometimes it takes days... usually until
> > I rehup my named for a DNS change on my network.  His complain is that
> > our DNS returns old cached data for days after other DNS server's (Uu.net,
> > Digex, MSN, etc.) serve up the fresh data.
>
> 	It sounds like you are secondarying the zone if HUP fixes
> 	things.  HUPing a nameserver does not clear the cache.  It
> 	does however cause a refresh check to occur.

Oops... Sorry.  Actually a rehup isn't what I meant.  I need a kill and
restart for the cache to clear.  I have no connection to the zones... I
am not primary or secondary.

> 	But as always this is supposition as you have failed to
> 	tell us the names of the zones and servers involved.

Actually, the guy having problems refuses to tell me what domains are
having problems.  The server serving up stale cache data is my primary,
ns.dandy.net.

> > My bind is 8.2.2-P5 and I don't have the option "cleaning-interval" set in
> > my config.  Reading the Grasshopper book, it states that versions of Bind
> > after 8 will default to a cleaning interval of 60 minutes, at which time
> > records over thier TTL will be discarded... He claims his TTL is
> > one day, and judging by the behavior of other servers, I tend to believe
> > him... Why is my name server not discarded stale cache data?

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.net CTO
Atlantic City, NJ