Running two DNS Servers on one machine with two IPs

Michael Kohne mhkohne at discordia.org
Thu Sep 7 17:48:00 UTC 2000

On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:46:08 GMT, andreas.graf at usa.net wrote:
>What do I have do do in order to run a primary and a secondary=
 DNS
>server on one machine (RedHat 6.2) with 2 IPs assiged.
>Thanks in advance for your help
>Andreas
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.
You want to use the 'listen-on' options in your named.conf file.=

You'll have different configs for the two servers.

Now, a second point: Why do you think you want to run two nameds=
 on
the same box? You say primary and secondary, which makes me think=

that you want to run both name servers that you told your=
 registrar
about on the same machine. If this is your purpose: DON'T DO=
 THAT!
Find someone else to host your secondary DNS. The whole POINT of=

having secondary DNS is so that DNS will work, even if your=
 machine
is itself down. It's polite, and it's the right thing to do.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to maintain seperate DNS=
 for
your internal masqeraded network and the rest of the world, then=

listen-on is definitely the option you want to look at.

Michael Kohne
mhkohne at discordia.org
"Evolution is God's version of Domino Rally"