Cache still not expiring...

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Sep 7 23:54:08 UTC 2000

> Hey guys... resending my question, hoping it will generate some more
> suggestions.
>
> Anyway, I have a reseller who keeps moving hosts and ips on a separate
> network from mine.  Then since his customers use my dial-up and DNS, they
> are not seeing the DNS changes right away.  In fact, sometimes it takes
> days... usually until I rehup my named for a DNS change on my
> network.  His complain is that our DNS returns old cached data for days
> after other DNS server's (Uu.net, Digex, MSN, etc.) serve up the fresh
> data.
>
> My bind is 8.2.2-P5, it's hostname is ns.dandy.net.  The last hostname
> change that has taken awhile is missamerica.org.  Interestingly, the host
> name www.missamerica.org resolves correctly.  Why is my name server not
> discarded stale cache data?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> 					----Steve
> Stephen Amadei
> Dandy.net CTO
> Atlantic City, NJ

	I would be asking him why www.mca5.com is still serving a
	old copy of the zone.

	If you are using a forwarder and it is old enough you may
	be being affected by the issue addressed by change 619.
	This is only a problem if the zone is being miss managed
	by allowing multiple different versions of the zone to
	exist as is the case here.

	Mark

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.missamerica.org @www.mca5.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	www.missamerica.org, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.missamerica.org.	1D IN A		208.234.31.146