other experiments

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Sep 12 11:57:08 UTC 2000

    Jay> 1. I have an Internal Root server with my own written
    Jay> named.ca file. Do you think it's ok to put selective
    Jay> forwarding on the root server, remember that client host dont
    Jay> directly put root server IP in their PC.

No. A root server should never forward queries. After all, it already
knows about ".". so why does it need to forward? It should be set up
as a non-recursive server and it should only get queried by other name
servers who will get referrals if they as the root server for a name
that isn't in the root zone. Take a look at RFC2870: Root Name Server
Operational Requirements. Oh, and a root server does not have a
named.ca file (ie the server has a zone{} statement of type hint for
".") unless that's the name you give to the root zone file.