DNS Installation

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Sep 14 12:32:27 UTC 2000

> Hi All
>
> Recently I have dowloaded Bind 8.1, after compiling it, I have a quetion
> needed to ask you, do I need to run " make install" to install all utilities
> came with the Bind, or just copy ./src/bin/named/named to /sbin or /usr/sbin
> dir?
>
> what is impact if I don't run full installation?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Wang

	Why did you download such an old version?  The current release
	is 8.2.2-P5.

	You can install by hand if you want.  Take care that the directories
	in src/port/<platform>/Makefile.set match where you are intending to
	install.  To just upgrade the nameserver you only need to install
	named and named-xfer.  They should be treated as a matched pair.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com