Compiling error under Slackware

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Sep 15 15:46:32 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 06:34:29PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > "No space left on device" usually means what it says.
>
> Usually. But inode exhaustion can produce that error also, even if you have plenty
> of disk-block "space" in the filesystem. I've often seen our Level 1 (and
> sometimes even Level 2) Unix admins forget that little piece of Unix trivia...

Well, true.  But if you do the right kind of 'df' [varies among systems
but one of -i or -t combined with -k usually does it], you get both.

> (And don't even get me started on "why does 'df' show a different amount of free
> space than 'du' does?"...)

(1) Sometimes one reports in Kb and the other in "blocks" of 512 bytes.
(2) On some types of file systems, some portion of the disk ["minfree"]
    is reserved, so that if the super-user needed to fix something, she
    or he would have space even when the file system was "full".  This
    minimum free space defaults to 10%, as a legacy from when disk
    drives were ~100Mb - 10% of which is 10Mb.  In these days of 20Gb
    drives - 10% of which is 2Gb, and even 1% of which is 200Mb - one
    is tempted to set this to 0%; but I leave it at 1%.  The 'minfree'
    is not shown.
(3) But 'du' doesn't show free space!  ;-}
(4) There may be differing calculations of amount of indirect block
    space used.  It depends on your FS and OS.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B