Slow DNS queries

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 19 12:46:56 UTC 2000

You are running BIND on the Linux NAT box, right?

Have you set up BIND on Linux-NAT to have global (for 8.x) :

options {
    forwarders {
        xxx.yyy.zzz.www ; // a nameserver at the ISP
    };
    forward only;
}

 ?

Then, when Linux-NAT receives a request for which it's not
authoritative, or doesn't have in its cache, he should forward it to
xxx.yyy.zzz.www for resolution.

The clients should point to Linux-NAT's IP address for name resolution.

What does your client resolver config or nameserver list look like?
What does your Linux-NAT named.conf look like?

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Senior Tech. Consultant,   SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511