NT & Bind Q's

Christopher Griesel chrisg at 3rdi.co.za
Tue Sep 19 14:27:05 UTC 2000

Hello, I'm using "ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5 for NT"

2 Questions:

1. When I use nslookup from a Linux machine with the NT DNS server in it's
resolve.conf
 the first nslookup *always* fails, the second one query for the same FQDN
and all thereafter are fine, try another FQDN and it *always* times' out the
first time.

2. It's a caching *only* Name server, must I use forwarders or will the NT
box use the DNS servers in it's N/W settings?

Thanks!!
C.

Here's my config:
----------------------
options {
	directory "C:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\";
};

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "root.hints";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "db.127.0.0";
};

logging {
	channel my_file {
		file "c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\named.run";
		severity debug;
		print-time yes;
	 };
	category default {my_file;};