Masterfiles in bind

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Mon Apr 2 00:54:53 UTC 2001

On 1 Apr 2001, Paul Vixie wrote to bind-users at isc.org:

> fold at bcpl.net (Chip Old) writes:
>
> > The data from each zone file is loaded into memory any time named is
> > restarted or reloaded.
>
> in bind4 and bind8 this is absolutely true.
>
> in bind9 it depends on which backend you're using.  the one shipped by
> isc with current bind9 is a memory-resident red/black tree, but other
> backends are suspected to exist including an SQL gateway and an
> on-disk b-tree.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul.  I haven't made the jump from BIND
8.2.3 to BIND 9.1.1 yet, but have downloaded it and am just beginning to
go through the docs.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.