Masterfiles in bind

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Mon Apr 2 14:55:13 UTC 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Chip Old wrote to BIND-Users:

> Thanks for the clarification, Paul.  I haven't made the jump from BIND
> 8.2.3 to BIND 9.1.1 yet, but have downloaded it and am just beginning
> to go through the docs.

Hmmm.  Here's a potential problem for us Solaris users.  From the BIND
9.1.1 README:  "Building with gcc is not supported, unless gcc is the
vendor's usual compiler (e.g. the various BSD systems, Linux)."

Kicking into skeptic mode I tried it anyway, using "configure
--disable-threads" as recommended in README for Solaris 2.6, then "make".
I got a few apparently minor warnings (see below), but otherwise it seemed
to compile fine.

file.c:108: warning: implicit declaration of function `utimes'
confparser.c:2102: warning: missing braces around initializer for
   `dns__yytoks[0]'
confparser.c:3159: warning: label `yyerrlab' defined but not used
confparser.c:2949: warning: label `yynewstate' defined but not used
rbt.c:1312: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'
rbt.c:1544: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'

I don't have the luxury of a non-production machine to test this on.  Is
there anything here I need to worry about?

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.