Interesting problem.

David R. Kirk david at kirks.org
Thu Apr 5 13:26:06 UTC 2001

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:40:12PM -0400, David R. Kirk wrote:
> > Don't know if this has been checked yet, and not sure if this was
covered,
> > as you don't provide specifics as to domain name, but I'd check and see
> > if there is a stale host record for the IP/host in question.
> >
> > Basically, query the NSI whois server for the hostname in question; if
there
> > is a host record in place, you'll see something like the following ...
>
> Good idea, wrong server.  Query the name server.  DNS and WHOIS
> are two totally different protocols, and may be inconsistent without
> attempts to keep them consistent.

Yes, I definitely do understand that WHOIS and DNS are wholly separate,
and that there certainly tends to be a disparity between the information
that
either provide.

However, I was providing WHOIS as a point of reference because this
data, in general, will immediately point to this problem, and the data tends
to be readily available through NSI's web pages, despite their claims to
the contrary. :-)

> A WHOIS record may suggest the presence of a DNS record, though.

Which is what I was shooting for, as not every person on this list is
DNS-savvy as you, which is why I was offering that piece of advice;
this WHOIS data is a little bit more available to the newbie than is
dig/nslookup command output.

> Oh, bother.  So glad I checked the headers.  David, NEVER post
> something twice to this mailing list, i.e., by posting it both to the
> mailing list address and the newsgroup address.

Yes, I know.

My initial reply appeared to have failed because of the newgroup address,
and thus I sent it to the mail address.  Please accept my mea culpa - I'll
be more observant of this in the future.