DNS maintaining DNS files

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 3 22:25:28 UTC 2001

AFAIK, h2n doesn't "maintain" zone files; it just *converts* an
/etc/hosts file into zone files. That seems an awfully inefficient way
of "maintaining" DNS.

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend any publically-available
DNS maintenance system. I wrote one from scratch, but it's technically
DaimlerChrysler property, and not publically available. Some other folks
here based their maintenance system on some old University of Utah stuff
(which has since been heavily modified), and they seem pretty happy with
it. And, of course, there are commercial packages which can do
DNS maintenance, among other things (e.g. Nortel's NetID, Lucent's QIP,
etc.), but those can get pretty expensive...

- Kevin