Do i need reverse dns lookup ???

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Apr 18 16:12:19 UTC 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:27:24PM +0530, Parvez Lanewala wrote:
> i'm new with configuring DNS. i wanted to confirm whether i need a reverse IP/DNS lookup for the server to run "named". when i put the IP address of our server in arin/whois it gives me the netblock in which the ip address lies.

Please remember that WHOIS and DNS are separate services, run by
separate people.  They are supposed to remain in sync, and they do for
the most part, but you must never cite WHOIS data as "proof" for
anything in DNS.

Do you "need" reverse DNS?  Almost as much as you need DNS.  That is,
you can get along without it, but things won't always act the way you
would expect them to.  You really should have it.

although I don't particularly use their format.  Or look in the
archives for "reverse dns primer".

If your netblock is less than a /24 [that is, less than 256 contiguous
addresses starting with a .0 and ending in a .255], you should look up
RFC 2317.  Or your ISP may already be providing reverse DNS for your IP
addresses.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
	PLEASE ... send or Cc: all "COSPO/OSIS Computer Support"
		     mail to sys-adm at cospo.osis.gov