quick way to force a secondary to named-xfer from master

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Apr 19 17:45:53 UTC 2001

    >> I have 1351 zonefiles that are not sync'd between a master and
    >> a slave nameserver.  Im trying to think up the easiest way to
    >> make the secondary nameserver transfer all the zones. There are
    >> a couple of options here I could try:

    >> 1) Increment 1351 serial numbers by hand on the primary
    >> nameserver. Not going to happen.  2) Script the incrementation
    >> of the 1351 serial numbers. Do-able but still a little time
    >> consuming.  3) Do a manual named-xfer on the secondary for each
    >> zone. Easily scripted, but I need to know if it is safe to do
    >> so.  4) Shutdown named on the secondary, move the zonefiles out
    >> of the directory where it keeps them, restart the secondary
    >> nameserver. It will take some time to catch up but it will
    >> work.

    peter> 5) remove _some_ of the files on the slave and reload. Wait
    peter> for files to trasfer, remove _some_more_ files. Repeat
    peter> until done.  Only catch: will bind do a zone-xfer os SOA is
    peter> OK but file missing ? Do a test with one file and try.

No! Don't remove the old zone files. Rename them. Then reload the
server so it picks up new copies of the zones. If the transfers fail,
you might be glad to have the old files still around to fall back on.