quick way to force a secondary to named-xfer from master

mark Mullai mmullai at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 18:15:25 UTC 2001

 Bindcmd reload

That should work.

Mark

  Andrew Best <andrew_best at pacific.net.au> wrote:

Greetings.

I have 1351 zonefiles that are not sync'd between a master and a slave
nameserver.
Im trying to think up the easiest way to make the secondary nameserver
transfer all the zones. There are a couple of options here I could try:

1) Increment 1351 serial numbers by hand on the primary nameserver. Not going to happen.
2) Script the incrementation of the 1351 serial numbers. Do-able but still a
little time consuming.
3) Do a manual named-xfer on the secondary for each zone. Easily scripted,
but I need to know if it is safe to do so.
4) Shutdown named on the secondary, move the zonefiles out of the directory
where it keeps them, restart the secondary nameserver. It will take some
time to catch up but it will work.

I believe any of the 4 methods is valid but there must be a preferred method
of fixing this type of thing?

Anyone care to shed some light?

FWIW: We use bind 8.2.3 here.

tia