Excessive DNS Requests

Edsonet administrator at yellowhead.com
Mon Apr 23 16:29:00 UTC 2001

On several occassions, I have posted this particular problem on this list,
but the issue has never been resolved. The problem is that a few DNS
servers get blocked from our DNS server because they submit more than 20
requests for the same information in one second. Ususally, it is repeat
requests for a CNAME that doesn't exist. All sites have been notified of
the problem, but only 3 bothered to reply, and all 3 were using BIND 8.2.2.
One site (aescon.net) was very helpful, and seems to have got the problem
under control.

Of the 29 sites that got themselves blocked, only 7 have proved to be
repeat offenders and remain blocked. I am publishing these sites in hopes
of pressing them to address the problem.

** 209.127.0.18 (NS1.POINTECOM.NET) **
** 208.248.127.232 (127-132.cosmoweb.net) **
** 208.209.185.186 (dns1.genealogy.com) **
** 209.87.79.232 (ns2.dsl.net) **
** 141.202.248.31 (usilns1.cai.net) **
** 208.128.33.5(ns1.galvestonbay.net **
** 158.152.1.80(tele-cache-1-deo.ns.demon.net) **

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro