root servers

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Aug 1 10:18:45 UTC 2001

Actually, you pretty much answered your own question with asking 'any
hints?'. No, there are no hints. BIND needs a hint zone to know the
addresses of the root servers - or it needs to ask one of the root
servers for that information.

I have a cron job set up to run once a month to grab the newest list
of root servers (which, by the way, hasn't changed since Aug '00):

	0 0 1 * * ncftpget -a -V -Z -F ftp.rs.internic.net /tmp /domain/named.root; mv -f /tmp/named.root /var/named/zones/root-servers.hint

This, in the end, gives me a file /var/named/zones/root-servers.hint
which I point BIND to:

	zone "." {
	        type hint;
	        file "zones/root-servers.hint";
	};

Either do this, or set up your own internal root (since you are
proxying requests to the Internet, this might not be a good idea). The
IP address for ftp.rs.internic.net is 198.41.0.6.

I haven't seen any queries for the root servers' addresses, but I am
not logging them either. Your mileage may vary.

Michael Kjörling

On Aug 1 2001 11:52 +0200, Mueller, Thomas wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I'm new to the list, so I hope I don't bother you by asking this question.
>
> I have Squid 2.2 and named 8.2.x running SuSELinux 6.4 behind a Firewall,
> and the Server tries permantly
> to udp the root servers on the net:
>
> b.gdlt-servers.net for example.
>
> in /var/log/messages it says:
>
> can't find root NS......
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Tom

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****