resolv.conf

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Aug 2 18:15:58 UTC 2001

In article <9kasuk$5js at pub3.rc.vix.com>, n3lka <bubbanerd at telocity.com> wrote:
>Quick question from a newbie. I'm setting up a caching dns server for my
>house.
>
>I'm setting up the resolv.conf file, and wondering what to use in my
>"search" line. Since I don't have a domain name internally, do I comment the
>line out, or use my isp's domain name.

The search line is used to configure default domains to append if you enter
a hostname without a domain suffix, or if the name you give doesn't exist.
So you decide what you want the default domains to be.  If you use a portal
web site as your, you could use their domain, so you can enter "www" as an
abbreviation for "www.portal.com".

If you don't need any default domains, you don't need the line at all.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA