PTR record..........cjk

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 3 03:00:53 UTC 2001

Constantine Koulis wrote:

> Hello.
> My network:2 servers running redhat 7.
> 1 server = web server
> second server= email server
>
> Using DNS expert to see if my DNS settings are correct it gave me the
> following error:
>
> There is no PTR record for the host "mail.infoland.ro."
> There is no PTR record available for the host "mail.infoland.ro." which has
> the IP address 217.10.220.43.
>
> What is a PTR record?

A PTR record is typically used for "reverse DNS", i.e. the mapping of
addresses to names.

Reverse DNS is arranged in a tree structure starting at "in-addr.arpa" and
then branching out based on the leftmost-to-rightmost (i.e. reverse) order of
the address'es octets. So, for example, the PTR record which maps the address
217.10.220.43 would have the name "43.220.10.217.in-addr.arpa". According to
the Internet DNS, xnet.ro controls the 220.10.217.in-addr.arpa domain. Perhaps
you should talk to them about adding a PTR record for your address.

If you want to have the ability to maintain these reverse records yourself,
you may be able to get the appropriate zones and/or names delegated to you,
although this is much easier if you own a /24 or larger. Talk to your upstream
provider.