Dynamic update of glue records

Karen Etheridge ether at armadillonetworks.com
Fri Aug 3 20:37:09 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:45:07PM +1000, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> > > Is it possible to dynamically update glue records in a parent zone?  For
> > > example, in a parent zone "foo.com" that contains the following delegation
> > > and glue:

> > Why not just use the BIND 9 nsupdate with a BIND 8 nameserver?
>
> 	BIND 8's internal database in not up to handling this.  It
> 	was one of the things BIND 9 fixed.

Yes, after executing lots of tests with bind 8 servers and bind 9 nsupdate,
I see that once a delegation (NS record) has been entered into the bind 8
parent, it refuses any updates to that name (either A or NS records),
with a NOTAUTH reply, with a referral to the child domain in the AUTHORITY
section.

To summarize, it seems that only bind 9 servers will accept updates to
authoritative data that exists outside its zones.

--
Karen Etheridge, ether at armadillonetworks.com   604-871-4340 x3642
VP-Engineering, DNS Department, Armadillo Networks, Inc.