Starting BIND on Windows 2000

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sun Aug 12 09:39:16 UTC 2001

>It is mentioned on page 80.  I tried the given information and some
>variations of it and it did not work.  The command listed is #
>/usr/sbin/named.  I reread that page and I understand a little better,
>but where is that location located?  On a standard Windows system

named.exe runs as a Win32 "service", aka daemon on *nix systems.

BINDinstall.exe will load named.exe into NT´s services list, at which point
you manage it with the services applet just like any other service.  (start
/ stop / how to starup / disable / etc)

Cricket´s book gives command examples for *nix (eg, "#" is the "root
prompt" symbol, not part of the ensuing command). Don´t use unix commands
on Windows.

With all the responses here, are you now running ok?

BINDctrl panel does allow you to add occasionally useful params to the
start up of bind, such -d or -d2 for debugging output to the named.run log
file.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K