FW: Problem resolving MX records

John Straiton jsmailing at clickcom.com
Mon Aug 13 21:07:50 UTC 2001

I hope someone has a suggestion, I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm using BIND 8.2.3-R on a machine, and it services thousands of requests
per hour just fine. With 1 exception that I can find-

Sometimes (rarely) I'll try to send email to someone and the mail delivery
will fail. The reason it fails is that my sendmail is unable to resolve an
MX record for the target domain... In this case "@viafamily.com".

I do a whois for that domain and see that it is, indeed, registered and not
expired, so I do a nslookup viafamily.com and get a resolution. Then I try
nslookup -q=mx viafamily.com and I get the 'ole
Non-existent host/domain.

So I use the primary NS record from the whois and try nslookup -q=mx
viafamily.com ns.ratedg.com which resolves just fine. So then I tried using
dig and got 216.189.30.72: Operation timed out. (what 216.189.30.72 has to
do with viafamily.com, I don't know)

A friend recommended I rebuild the db.cache, so I used the dig
@a.root-server.net . ns > etc/db.cache  and restarted the daemon. Still no
luck.

I can send the message using mail servers that do not use this DNS server,
so I'm under the assumption all is well everywhere but here.

Thoughts?

John Straiton
jks at clickcom.com