FW: Problem resolving MX records

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Mon Aug 13 21:22:44 UTC 2001

Well, one of your two named servers (DNS2-CLT.ratedg.com at
216.189.14.36) seems to be unreachable, so 50% of the initial queries
will fail at first (time out). I don't know but this may have
something do with your problem. ns.ratedg.com at 216.189.14.35 answers
nicely and does indeed show that you have a MX RR for viafamily.com.

Without having access to any more advanced DNS debugging tools than
dig and my limited knowledge of it, I would say either fix or replace
dns2-clt.ratedg.com.

Michael Kjörling

On Aug 13 2001 17:07 -0400, John Straiton wrote:

> I hope someone has a suggestion, I'm a bit puzzled.
>
> I'm using BIND 8.2.3-R on a machine, and it services thousands of requests
> per hour just fine. With 1 exception that I can find-
>
> Sometimes (rarely) I'll try to send email to someone and the mail delivery
> will fail. The reason it fails is that my sendmail is unable to resolve an
> MX record for the target domain... In this case "@viafamily.com".
>
> I do a whois for that domain and see that it is, indeed, registered and not
> expired, so I do a nslookup viafamily.com and get a resolution. Then I try
> nslookup -q=mx viafamily.com and I get the 'ole
> Non-existent host/domain.
>
> So I use the primary NS record from the whois and try nslookup -q=mx
> viafamily.com ns.ratedg.com which resolves just fine. So then I tried using
> dig and got 216.189.30.72: Operation timed out. (what 216.189.30.72 has to
> do with viafamily.com, I don't know)
>
> A friend recommended I rebuild the db.cache, so I used the dig
> @a.root-server.net . ns > etc/db.cache  and restarted the daemon. Still no
> luck.
>
> I can send the message using mail servers that do not use this DNS server,
> so I'm under the assumption all is well everywhere but here.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> John Straiton
> jks at clickcom.com

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****