Strange in-addr.arpa delegation problem.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 29 13:59:46 UTC 2001

In article <9mho1f$79k at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Greg Cox  <gregc at mid-missouri.net> wrote:

>I understand that I (Savvis) only has part of that class b.
>
>So what do I need to change on my server?
>
>Do I need to create a 209-223.16.209.in-addr.arpa zone?
>
>or
>
>Do I just drop the 16.209.in-addr.arpa zone and create a class c zone for
>every /24 I have and then in that zone delegate every ip to pdnt (Savvis'
>Customer).

You have two choices:

1) Since ARIN is delegating the class C to your servers, make them slaves
   to the customer's server.

2) Submit an IN-ADDR form to ARIN telling them to delegate this class C to
   your customer's servers.

Since the /16 isn't delegated to you, you can't delegate the /24 to anyone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA