Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 29 20:22:26 UTC 2001

Federico Bockel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 3 dns servers running Bind 9.1.3 on Solaris 7.
> 1 master and 2 slaves.
> When the master transfers the zone to the slaves the zone changes.

What do you mean by "the zone changes". You mean on the master? Or do you
mean on the slaves? It is *supposed* to change on the slaves. That's why it
was transferred in the first place; because it's a newer copy of the zone.

> After this the zone stops updating.

And what does *this* mean? You should only be updating the zone on the
master. When the zone transfers from the master to the slave, this is
"replication". Are you calling this "updating"?

> When I check the same zone with named-checkzone on the master and on the
> slaves, the named-checkzone on the master replies OK and the
> named-checkzone on the slaves reports lots of errors, out of zone data,
> and other stuff.
> If I change the zone on the slaves after a while its changed again with
> these incorrect data.
> An example is:
> It changes the soa replacing the @ for the domain.com takes the @ from
> the ns and mx records, and adds ORIGIN fields.

All of this is normal and expected. named writes the slave zone file, so
you can be reasonably sure it is correct (unless there is something in the
log files to indicate a problem with the zone transfer or a problem writing
the zone file). named-checkzone is designed to check *master* zone files.
There's really no good reason to run it on a slave file.