Some basic bind configuration questions

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Aug 30 19:47:35 UTC 2001

In article <9mm3og$9ud at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Pierre Girard  <pierreg at crt.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>Hello,
>    we currently have 2 domains (crt.umontreal.ca and gerad.ca) and some
>DNS slaves on our network.  We don't have authority on those domains and
>we don't really need it.  What we want tought is to make our DNS servers
>masters for our domain and add some information into it.  Currently
>those who have autority on the domains only have a few machines into it
>and we'd like to keep it that way.  But for our internal use, we need to
>add more machines into the DNS tables, which is why we want to make our
>DNS masters (or master and slaves actually).
>
>I don't think this will cause any problem but i'd like to get the
>opinion of more knowledgeable people.
>
>Another thing is that we'd like to get all the A and CNAME that have
>been added into the DNS for our domains, is there any way we can get
>that information with dig or do we have to contact the DNS hostmaster?

It depends on whether the primary server administrator has it configured to
allow zone transfers.  If he has, you can do:

dig gerad.ca axfr @<primary-address>

>Since we're starting to run out of valid addresses, we decided to move
>most of our machines to a private subnet (10.100.*.*), can we put those
>machines in our DNS?  Should we put those addresses in the 132.204.100
>file or create another file or not put the reverse DNS information at
>all?

Since this DNS is just for your internal use, you can put the private
addresses in it.

You should have a separate reverse domain for each address block.  So you
can have a 10.in-addr.arpa reverse domain and a 100.204.132.in-addr.arpa
reverse domain, and they should be in separate files.

>Do you have any book you recommend for seting up bind?  I know there's
>the o'reilley book but it says on the front page "covers bind 8" or
>something similar.  Is it good enough to configure bind 9 correctly?

BIND 8 and 9 are about 95% the same in configuration.  BIND 9's log
messages are completely different, so that chapter of the book won't be
much help.  But I think if you get the 4th Edition it covers BIND 9.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA