Standalone primary DNS server (without root servers)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Dec 6 20:05:28 UTC 2001

In article <9uo853$oa1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Gildas PERROT <perrot at NOSPAM.fluxus.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to set up a Bind 8 DNS server for testing environment purpose.
>In fact, I will have a non-routed local network that reproduces a routed
>network and for the non-routed local network, I will have that DNS server.
>In order to achieve that, the DNS server must be primary for a certain
>number of zones and should never try to contact the root servers.
>Furthermore, all the non-answered queries should be log.
>
>How can I do that, please ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Make your server a master server for the root zone:

zone "." {
  type master;
  file "db.root";
};

I don't know of a way to make it log only the queries that are outside your
zones, though.  You could turn on query logging and then write a script
that filters out the ones in your zones.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA