Standalone primary DNS server (without root servers)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 6 22:46:35 UTC 2001

Gildas PERROT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up a Bind 8 DNS server for testing environment purpose.
> In fact, I will have a non-routed local network that reproduces a routed
> network and for the non-routed local network, I will have that DNS server.
> In order to achieve that, the DNS server must be primary for a certain
> number of zones and should never try to contact the root servers.
> Furthermore, all the non-answered queries should be log.
>
> How can I do that, please ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Set up another machine as a root server and configure that in your hints file.
Then turn off recursion. All of the non-answered queries will show up as
"recursion denied".

You could probably even get away with configuring *bogus* nameservers in your
hints file. But BIND will whine a lot about that...