9.2.0 chicken egg problem?

Will Yardley ilovednsrelatedspam at hq.newdream.net
Sat Dec 8 21:10:09 UTC 2001

Rick wrote:

> On a whim, I chmod 711 /var/run/named on the box running 9.2.0.  Then
> chown root /var/run/named.
> Named now runs.  I didn't know it was running as root.  Is it?

if it can't write to a file owned by named:named, it's probably running
as root. what does 'ps auxwww |grep named' say?  does it show the owner
of the process as 'named' or 'root'?

it's much better to run named as an unprivileged user, so if it's
running as root, you should change the ownerships around and run named
as 'named -u named'

--
William Yardley                   System Administrator, Newdream Network
william at hq.newdream.net         http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/gpg.asc