Servfail When Resolving certain domains

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Dec 11 16:58:22 UTC 2001

In article <9v5csi$3ka at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
England, Robert (Robert) <england at northamerica.exchange.agere.com> wrote:
>If I tell our users that DNS is incorrect for the domains they are sending
>to, they ask me why hotmail can get mail to them and ours can't. They then
>ask why their mail servers can resolve them correctly, but our can not.

The answer is that these kinds of problems result in transient errors.
Sometimes you can resolve the names, other times you can't.  It may also be
dependent on the version of nameserver you're running -- different
nameservers behave differently when running into these types of problems
(since Hotmail is a Microsoft service, maybe they're using Microsoft DNS
server rather than BIND, but I shudder when I contemplate such a
configuration).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA