Servfail When Resolving certain domains

England, Robert (Robert) england at northamerica.exchange.agere.com
Tue Dec 11 20:06:41 UTC 2001

If it does not will it just return a SERFAIL message?

>     When you are using a forward zone the
> 	server is *not* expecting to be talking to a authoritative server
> 	but rather a caching server and caching servers don't set 'aa'
> 	whereas authoritative servers do.

This does seem to be the case, but I was not sure that the name server HAD
to receive an authoritative answer all the time, in order to be able to
resolve a name. I see non authoritative answers allot, are you telling me
that there are that many DNS server out there not configured correctly?

>     The servers in question are
> 	not setting 'aa' in the answers (indicating that they detected
> 	a error on load) and named is rejecting their answers as bad.

Is their a way for the name server to accept a non authoritative answer with
a standard configuration that uses the db.cache file?

> 	Mark
> --
> Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org

Thanks for the help!!
-Bob