Using Unix Bind 9.2 for Domain controller

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Sun Dec 16 20:36:51 UTC 2001

* Cricket Liu <cricket at menandmice.com> said, on [011216 09:39]:

> > $TTL 86400
> > @       IN      SOA  Alderaan.  postmaster.empire.intranet (
> >                 10              ; Serial
> >                 10800           ; Refresh
> >                 3600            ; Retry
> >                 604800          ; Expire
> >                 86400           ; ttk
> >                 )
> >
> > ;
> > ; Name Servers
> > ;
> >
> >         IN      NS      Alderaan.empire.intranet.
> >         IN      NS      24.31.3.8
>
> NS records need domain names in their RDATA, not IP addresses.

I'm a bit confused about a DC's behaviour in this situation, and I don't
have one handy to test with. I was under the impression that Microsoft
clients (And maybe DCs in particular?) unconditionally send updates to
the zone's MNAME. Looking in to it today, I've also seen claims that
they compare MNAME to the NS RDATA, and assume that an NS that matches
MNAME is the primary master, and update *that*.

Would anyone care to step out on a limb and make a definitive statement
about a w2k DC's behaviour in the case we have here, where the MNAME
does not match any NS RDATA?

--Pete