Using Unix Bind 9.2 for Domain controller

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sun Dec 16 21:16:57 UTC 2001

> I'm a bit confused about a DC's behaviour in this situation, and I don't
> have one handy to test with. I was under the impression that Microsoft
> clients (And maybe DCs in particular?) unconditionally send updates to
> the zone's MNAME. Looking in to it today, I've also seen claims that
> they compare MNAME to the NS RDATA, and assume that an NS that matches
> MNAME is the primary master, and update *that*.
>
> Would anyone care to step out on a limb and make a definitive statement
> about a w2k DC's behaviour in the case we have here, where the MNAME
> does not match any NS RDATA?

Microsoft dynamic update routines, including the one called by the DC,
send the first update to the name server listed in the MNAME field,
regardless of the zone's NS records.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes