Using Unix Bind 9.2 for Domain controller

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Dec 17 20:24:36 UTC 2001

> I have removed all instances of the Alderaan. and deathstar. entries and
> stopped and restarted named and this still does not seem to work.
>
> So all I have in the empire.intranet.zone file is
>
> $TTL 86400
>   @       IN      SOA  Alderaan.  postmaster.empire.intranet (
> 		 10              ; Serial
> 		 10800           ; Refresh
>   		 3600            ; Retry
>   		 604800          ; Expire
>   		 86400           ; ttk
>   )
>
> Then I stop and start named and dcpromo and I get the same error as
> before. do I have to have a IN A entry to the Alderaan.empire.intranet. ?

I didn't tell you to remove all the records pertaining to alderaan
and deathstar, I told you there were errors in them.  You need to
fix those errors, not just delete the records.

Basically, anywhere "alderaan" appears, you need it to say either
"alderaan" (with no trailing dot) or "alderaan.empire.intranet."
(with a trailing dot).

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes