Bind-NT 8.2.4/5 - fails on too many results?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 03:13:19 UTC 2001

Bill wrote:

> >In BIND 9.2.0 they both work.  The problem is that it's getting a UDP
> >Truncation and needs to retry in TCP mode. nslookup and dig share a
> >common backend in BIND 9.2.0.
> >
> >         Danny
>
> Thanks, Danny!  Sniffing nslookup using my ISP's DNS server shows me
> exactly this.  I see the "message is truncated" flag coming back UDP
> followed by a TCP query.

dig (9.2 at least) will print a message for you on truncation
which has to beat using nslookup and sniff to get the same
answer. I don't see truncation with the scs.yahoo.com reply, but
the other one definitely truncates.

> Dig is not a solution since applications screw up.  This all started
> when daughter couldn't connect to Yahoo Messenger (scs.yahoo.com) and
> I switched her to the ISP's DNS as a workaround when I found BIND-NT
> 8.2.4 hung on the query.

A query like "dig +vc @24.0.95.252 r1-ge5-0.roalok1.mi.home.net"
should quickly return, if not it suggests you have a problem
with firewalling, not allowing outgoing TCP to port 53.

> I assume BIND-NT 9.2.0 won't hang and reply with the truncated result
> UDP?  Any links on a clean 8 -> 9 conversion would be appreciated. :-)

If your zone files are standard conforming, they should just
work. I don't think it will fix this one though.

 Simon

PS: Is 9.2.0 "dig +novc" bust or is reverting to TCP a design
issue even when +novc is set.