Bind-NT 8.2.4/5 - fails on too many results?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Dec 18 21:32:06 UTC 2001

At 05:44 AM 12/18/01, Bill wrote:

>On 17 Dec 2001 21:38:22 -0800, Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> wrote:
>
> >At 10:17 PM 12/17/01, Bill wrote:
> >
> >>I saw this on BIND-NT 8.2.4 but also tried 8.2.5 on Win2KPro/Sp2.
> >>Here's some examples of "hangs forever" trying to lookup:
> >>
> >>   nslookup scs.yahoo.com
> >>   nslookup r1-ge5-0.roalok1.mi.home.net
> >>
> >>Both of these *should* return at least 24 IPs.  BIND-NT fails to
> >>return anything (but is non-fatal).  It's like a buffer isn't big
> >>enough(?)  Can someone confirm they see same?  Does version 9 have the
> >>same?  Sorry if this problem has been discussed before.
> >
> >Don't use nslookup, use dig.  It works with dig on BIND 8.2.5.
> >
> >In BIND 9.2.0 they both work.  The problem is that it's getting a UDP
> >Truncation and needs to retry in TCP mode. nslookup and dig share a
> >common backend in BIND 9.2.0.
> >
> >         Danny
>
>Thanks, Danny!  Sniffing nslookup using my ISP's DNS server shows me
>exactly this.  I see the "message is truncated" flag coming back UDP
>followed by a TCP query.
>
>Dig is not a solution since applications screw up.

If you want to see what's wrong then dig is the correct tool.  nslookup is
lousy
because of issues like this. It was dig telling me that the USP message was
being truncated and it was retrying in TCP mode.

>   This all started
>when daughter couldn't connect to Yahoo Messenger (scs.yahoo.com) and
>I switched her to the ISP's DNS as a workaround when I found BIND-NT
>8.2.4 hung on the query.

No, it's not BIND that hung on the query, its nslookup.  It has nothing to
do with
the server. This is a bug in nslookup.

>I assume BIND-NT 9.2.0 won't hang and reply with the truncated result
>UDP?  Any links on a clean 8 -> 9 conversion would be appreciated. :-)

The versions of nslookup and dig that come with BIND 9 work correctly.  It
has nothing to do with the BIND Server.

Look at the migration notes that come with BIND 9.  The only essential thing
is to make sure that there's a $TTL statement at the beginning of each zone
file.

         Danny