PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Feb 6 16:30:22 UTC 2001

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 02:11:25PM +0800, Lawrence Chan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>
> > And just for fun you repeat this FUD twice.
>
> Firstly, I am not Amdalh (I hope I spelled the name right) and have no products for
> IBM to FUD.  I am not working on any open-source DNS product in competition with
> BIND.  So I don't really know what you mean by FUD.

You don't have to be a company like Amdahl or IBM or Microsoft to
spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt [aka FUD].

> Your scenarios (though you yourself mentioned at the end of your email that they
> are exaggerated) while not answering my concern of whether we are handling the
> problem with the right solution, in fact help make my point.  Just because people
> reacted badly to the first major (and with no precedence) DNS problem does not give
> you the right to play God (or Goddess which ever strike your fancy.)  I presume

I have no rights in the matter.  The owners of the BIND code, however,
DO.

> you've heard of the notion of learning curve.  And by expounding purposeful

Yes.  I have observed it to be flat in the case of many management
types.

> disinformation (a delayed information is no information) would not solve the

That definition is itself interesting disinformation.

> underlying problem that BIND users and their transactions with the net are being
> put in unnecessary risk during these blackout period, through no fault of their
> own.  And who is going to be responsible if financial loss should occur during
> these periods by them unknowingly keeping their servers on?  You?  Have you thought
> about this potential negligence when conjured up your scenarios?  Besides, I think
> those 50% of bosses deserve a lot more credit than you've given them, given the
> situation.

You haven't tried to work with them.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B