cannot load data from master automatically

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 7 12:18:24 UTC 2001

    gilbert> hi!  I have a master DNS and a slave DNS
    gilbert> master: BIND8.2.2-P5 on FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE
    gilbert> slave: BIND8.2.2-P5 on FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE

Upgrade to 8.2.3 or, better still, 9.1.0. The version you're running
has security holes. See
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

    gilbert> The problem is: everytime I modify
    gilbert> the master db, I must reload the db in slave manually. If
    gilbert> I don't do it manually ( use named-xfer ), the change
    gilbert> will never reach the slave server, even that I set
    gilbert> refresh time to 10 second, wait for serval days. Of
    gilbert> course, the 'notify' function of bind doesn't work
    gilbert> either. Except for this inconvenience, these two servers
    gilbert> work well.  Do anybody know why?

If you'd told us the domain name, someone might have been able to
checked the zone's name servers. You say "notify doesn't work". What
does that mean? Does the master server send NOTIFYs? Does the slave
get them? Does the slave fail to respond to them? What's in the name
server logs on both systems? You will probably find the explanation
for the problem there.

If the zone's not getting propagated to the slave, there are many
possibilities. Maybe there's a connectivity or routing/firewall
problem between the servers. Maybe the master server isn't
authoritative for the zone because the zone file has syntax errors.
Maybe you forgot to increase the SOA serial number after updating the
zone file? Maybe the zone's NS records are messed up so the master
server doesn't know it has to send NOTIFYs. Maybe the slave has the
wrong IP addresses in the masters{} clause of its zone{} statement for
the zone.