Errors

Shawn May shawn.may at e470.com
Thu Feb 8 15:26:42 UTC 2001

DNS Folks,

Unfortunately the NNTP group (comp.protocols.dns.bind
<news:comp.protocols.dns.bind> ) is not available.  I hope you can answer my
question.

I am running Bind 8.x on an NT server.  Frequently, this server stops taking
DNS requests.  The services remain up, but no one can resolve.  When I
browse from this DNS NT server, I can get to the internet just fine.
Recycling the Bind services appears to get thing rolling again. - strange.

I only get one error and three warnings in my event viewer upon starting my
Bind Service.

Error: ctl_server: socket: Unknown error
Warning: unix control "%DESTRUN%/ndc" socket failed: Unknown error
Warning: directory c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc is world-writable
Warning: directory . is world-writable

I have been combing through my Bind book for weeks trying to solve this.
Does anyone have any ideas??

take care,

Shawn May